Pierre Székely, Henri Mouette
Photography Centre Pompidou
French architect Henri Mouette and Hungarian sculptor Pierre Székely first met in Courchevel, France at the beginning of the nineteen-fifties. The architect was commissioned to renovate the local tourist association center Le Renouveau, project through which he worked with the sculptor’s wife Vera Székely. Between 1959 and 1982, the architect and the sculptor worked together, eventually swaping roles on their various projects. Industrialist Michel Verley wrote Pierre Székely to design and build his residential house in Sebourg, northern France. Verley came across his work when visiting the church he built for the Carmel de Saint-Saulve in collaboration with architect Claude Guislain in 1966. Székely invited Mouette and engineer Bernard Metzlé on board of this ambitious project. The construction was completed in 1972. The site spans over three distinct spaces all linked together by covered passageways and situated in the middle of a peaceful forest estate. The design of the house refers to a maternal womb as Székely confessed. He eventually added that he considered the present project one of the most representative of both his architectural and sculptural concepts.
WASURETA is supported by multiple sources including books, press and online articles which all are available upon request.
This website and its content is copyright of WASURETA. Any reproduction of part or all of the content is prohibited.
© 2020 WASURETA All Rights Reserved